Friday, August 25, 2017

August Musings as the Month Winds Down

I haven't posted much here and I apologize. I've been working on several projects I needed to get done- a little tweaking to Bending Birches and Life, Death, Love, Cats & Dogs. I wasn't happy with my first choice of fonts for the covers, so I pulled the books and changed the fonts to something easier to read. I also cleaned up a few things in the interior copy- I despise autocorrect! It does not know what word I want so it just changes my words on a whim or caprice. When you want the word confirm and it changes it to conform- uh, NO! Fixed it along with a few commas and missed or extra words- the usual stuff that gets past the review process. Now I'm more satisfied with those two books. Out went through four proof copies, multiple revisions and readings before I finally let it go out into the world...and I'm a little sick of reading it right now, so if anyone has the black cover version with the deep purple roses and smaller font (not all capitals) that is not the fourth proof copy, let me know if you find any errors!


Next, I want to thank Glen Ebisch who sent me his newest book, The Open Window, to read (and I will review it also) this week. I started reading it the other night and said, "Oh, my God! It's a fictionalized Westfield! It's my alma mater (WSU, where I majored in criminal justice and minored in English, graduating in 1980!) Weird coincidence! And- HOLY MOLY! One of my best friends at work is the twin sister of our Chief of Police's wife- so when I read about the Chief in the novel, I can't help but think of our real Chief! I know it's all fiction, but it's shaping up to be a fun read for me with its often just on the edge of familiar setting!


I did three beta reads this month. Two manuscripts went back to the authors with scribbles, comments and a few emojis over because I can't read anything and not mark pages up- my home library is full of big publisher brand novels that I've marked up the interiors of as I've read them. I'm not always right, of course- I am not a professional editor...I just have habits developed over years of fiddling around with my own stuff and now Kelly's also...so I hope no one takes my OCDism seriously! What it ultimately boils down to is I LOVE to read what authors are writing, and I really thoroughly enjoyed all three books I was given the opportunity to beta read- I think they're wonderful, and in one instance, downright magical! I'm excited to know that all three books are in various stages of being published!


My current project is to finish my edits in Mike Brenner's trolley story collection so he can self-publish his book before the end of September. I have about 50 pages to go, so should get that done and the file sent back to him this weekend so he can add his copyright info, dedication, and author bio. Kelly is working on getting him just the kind of photo he wants for the front cover at the trolley museum.


Meanwhile, I have the August Wordsmiths newsletter to write and send out. It will have the September 23rd meeting agenda included. It looks intimidating- but it's totally not! There will be instructions in the newsletter what to bring. Kelly and I will be providing each member a folder, a white lined 8.5x11" pad, and a pen. Inside the folder will be something you'll need for the October meeting, which may take place on October 21st right after my author appearance for Out at Blue Umbrella. I need to firm that probability up first though. But I will be discussing Out at the bookstore on October 21st at 2PM-3PM and talking a little about vampire legend and lore and reading from the book. You can bring your fangs, but no biting!


Finally, does anyone have any idea how we can connect with long distance members at the upcoming meeting? I am woefully non-technical. I don't have a hi-tech phone. A member in VT would like to be "present" at the meeting- any ideas how we can do that? Thought I'd throw that out now so there's time to brainstorm.


The newsletter will be going out at the end of next week- probably on Friday the 1st.







2 comments:

  1. We use "Skype" sometimes at our Genealogy meetings with visiting speakers. Unfortunately I too am challenged by the technology.
    There is another program called "Go To Meeting" also out there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy way to connect with VT member is FaceTime via Ipad/tablets/phone, albeit not exactly perfect. Also FB messenger has that capacity. Also, wanted to thank you, Susan, for all your hard work in bringing this group together, and the author/book promotion opportunities.

    ReplyDelete