Sunday, August 19, 2018

Welcome to new member Gerald W. McFarland

I'm excited to welcome my author friend Gerald W. McFarland as a new member of WhipCity Wordsmiths. I met Gerry at the Read Local event in June 2015 (I believe) where he had his A Scattered People book featured. I bought it and enjoyed it so began collecting his other books and now have most of them if not all of them in my library and have gifted several of them to family.

Gerry came to Blue Umbrella for my Miss Peculiar's Haunting Tales, Volume 1, author event...my first public appearance. It was reassuring to have a familiar face in the audience.

We've kept in touch over the past few years via email, so it's like welcoming a member of my extended family to the group today.

Gerry has a new book out mentioned in an earlier post this month that I am currently reading and enjoying. It's origin is from detective stories his father told his brother and him when they were boys. I love that his new venture has its roots in the tradition of oral storytelling from his childhood. It resonates with me. I avidly listened to my grandfather's stories when I was growing up, and told Kelly stories and later wrote them down when she was growing up. I still basically write for her, my family and friends.

Welcome, Gerald W. McFarland! I'm so honored and happy to accept you into the Wordsmiths group!

No comments:

Post a Comment