Saturday, June 17, 2017

A Chat With Mike Walsh

When I got home from the Southwick Public Library's Local Author Fair I sent a message to author and member Mike Walsh who resides in VT. I know him because he's a local "boy" who'd grown up in Westfield and we know some mutual people.

We got to discussing WhipCity Wordsmiths which is still in its formative phase. Our messaging conversation moved to what sort of group this would be. Some groups are positively intimidating to new and young writers. Oher groups are so full of big egos there's hardly any room to maneuver never mind exploring, discovering, and learning something. Yes, I want group members to share what they are doing, share how they are doing it (self publishing, traditional publishing, online or blog publishing,or some hybrid version of publishing or not yet publishing ) but I don't want one single person sitting around tooting his or her own horn throughout the entire meeting looking for minions to polish their ego. I want all members to participate and give something to the group.

I want a group that is more relaxed, with members who are comfortable with one another, supportive of one another, encouraging and willing to offer information, advice, etc. as stated in other posts here.

So, our group is not going to be the home of egos as big as Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade balloons.

This group is for writers/authors of all levels and skills who want to hang with other writers and grow in their craft. So my response to Mike agreeing that humongous ego has no place in a writer's group was- "Writers and authors who enjoy what they do, do it wholeheartedly, and, though they may not be perfect yet, still keep writing and growing, following their path in life, having fun and loving the people they meet along their journey!" is what I want for this group.

When I am with other authors I feel energized and inspired to write, to continue on doing what I love to do. I might be having a bad day, but just sitting for a few minutes to talk to someone who shares my passion makes me feel so much better.

There are all kinds of writers with all sorts of personalities, but we all share one common trait and that is the desire to write. We all won't agree on everything, but differences are what make us each unique writers. We don't have to agree- we just have to love what we do, and respect others who work equally hard at their craft and not think that we're better than anyone else. We are who we are- and we all have readers who love what we do to enlighten them, educate them, entertain them, and amaze them.

So, here it is hung on the blog  Be proud of who you are and what you do, but please don't be insufferable. :)

1 comment: