Thursday, June 22, 2017

How Do I Get Ideas?

For me, ideas can literally come from anything and everything.

I can be listening to a song, half listening to conversation around me, or just a simple thought that I had.

However, lately I've noticed that they enjoy coming to me at times when I am doing something that involves me having to use my hands. For example, doing the dishes, when I'm listening to music, taking a shower, when I'm out and about and can't whip out my laptop. And they always appear in the form of, movie clips. Have you ever watched a movie and then sometime passes when all of sudden you're discussing a certain scene that happened and you can picture it perfectly like you just saw it yesterday?  That's how ideas come to me, in movie clip  form.

But the weird thing is, and I'm not sure if any other writers experience this or not, but when I'm hit with an idea, it's not the entire thing. It's just a snippet.

Like really? You can't indulge me with just a little more information.

Here's an example:

I was doing this dishes and listening to some music, because why would a writer need her hands after all? Anyway, I was minding my own business when all of sudden this random guy comes to mind. I'm 18 years old so at first I brushed off as nothing, if anything I was just daydreaming so I wouldn't bore myself as I did the dishes. But as I keep listening to this song, I see that I'm looking up at him and we're in a school hallway. Suddenly he's smiling down at me and I get this feeling that someone just poured ice water down my back. The longer I stared up at him, his smile twisted into a smirk and I felt like if I didn't leave then something bad was going to happen.

It was in that instant that I wasn't just day dreaming, no...someone was telling me a snippet of their story.

Because when I get an idea, to me, it's not a random, it's the characters revealing their story to me. I see it as they are people themselves who were looking for someone to write their story down for the world to read. So it's  privilege to be able to write their story, that I was chosen to write it.

And it's the best thing in the world, I absolutely love it. I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

😊

-Lindsay Stenico

1 comment:

  1. I see movies too! I just wish I could get what I see on paper with all that detail... And yes, it'd be nice if they gave you the whole story. It's not like we need that, or anything. I still remember that Jerry, a paranormal investigator, randomly showed up while I was walking down the deck stairs to go get the mail. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what he wants from me...

    ReplyDelete